Here is the recipe for my Russian apple cake. It is so simple and very delicious.
My aunt in Moscow taught me how to make it when I was 11 years old. I must have made it a few hundred times since!
You will see how easy it is. And it is very low fat as well.
It's become a staple at our Dinner/Concert At My House events.
2 apples (Granny Smith or other tart apples are best)
3/4 cup of sugar
approx 3 very full tbsps of flour
a pinch of salt
4 large or 5 small eggs
1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly butter/grease the deep dish pan to reduce sticking.
- Cut apples in bite-size pieces (after you get rid of the core and seeds) and spread the apples on the pan to fully cover the bottom.
- Put eggs in a large bowl and, using the mixer on high, beat with a mixer on high for about 1 minute
- Add sugar, salt and baking powder and beat on high for 30 seconds to fully blend with the eggs
(good trick is to mix baking powder with salt & sugar first to avoid any baking powder clumps, you can quickly grind the clumps out with a spoon)
- Add flour and mix in well, about 30 seconds with a mixer
The dough should be sweet, thick yet very runny.
- Pour over the apples and bake in the oven on a middle rack for 25-35 mins until it looks cooked and golden.
Once cooked, turn off the oven and let the cake stay in the oven for at least 10 mins. You can even leave it longer, as it will allow the top of the cake to become a touch crispy!
Or you can serve it hot :) It is super awesome either way.
In Russia we don’t eat cake with ice cream but... now that I am an American I found that vanilla ice cream is awesome with this cake!
Hope you enjoy it, and please let me know if you make it!
And here is a photo from a totally different time I made the cake, this is how it should look once it's cooked:
P.S. And... just for fun.. Here is one of my recent videos with my friend Christina (of Christina's Cucina) where we have some fun technical difficulties as I show you how to make this cake: